Are you an older teen or a young adult with cancer? Feeling restless, bored, or alone during your treatment? Wondering if anyone else your age is possibly around?
You might not know it, but at any given time, Memorial Sloan Kettering is treating hundreds of teenagers and young adults with cancer, and we’ve created programs just for you.
Teen and Young Adult Program at MSK (TYA @ MSK)
MSK recognizes that the diagnosis and treatment experience of teen and young adult (TYA) patients between the ages of 16-30 is unique. To improve the TYA patient experience during active treatment, we offer services that decrease isolation, improve connectivity between patients and their peers, and address psychosocial needs.
Here’s some of what we offer:
- The Lounge, a place to hang with peers and engage in activities and events
- The Peer-2-Peer Network, a program that puts you in touch with others your age who have completed treatment
- The Lounge at MSK App, a social media platform that allows users to connect with people their age (18-30), find or suggest events at MSK or anywhere, share experiences, ask questions, and receive answers from experts – both patients and clinical staff.
Our program is here for you regardless of what type of cancer you have, what type of treatment you’re receiving, or where you receive treatment within MSK, whether as an inpatient or an outpatient in Manhattan or at one of our other locations.
The Lounge: A Place to Connect
The Lounge gives you and your guests a space to hang out and relax. Both inpatients and outpatients can make the space their own by using any and all of the resources available, or by participating in daily programming.
Check out our:
- kitchen stocked with snacks
- TV with cable and movies
- art supplies and classes
- video games and tournaments
- dry-erase graffiti wall
- movie nights
- computer stations
- board games
- books and resources
- weekly programming and special events
The Lounge is located on the 14th floor of the Bobst Building in Room 1482B.
You can enter at 68th Street (444 East 68th Street) and take the B elevator to the 14th floor. From the hospital, walk through the 15th floor Recreation Center in the M building (Memorial Hospital).
The TYA Lounge was developed through the generous support of Teen Cancer America and Who Cares.
Peer-2-Peer Network: A Way to Share
Peer-2-Peer is a mentoring program that matches teens and young adults currently in treatment with other young people who have completed treatment at MSK. Peers are encouraged to exchange experiences, ask questions, share successes, and obtain support from someone who has experienced similar challenges. Whether you have one conversation or build a lasting friendship, some of your best resources can be each other.
The Lounge at MSK App: A Way to Connect
The Lounge at MSK App is a safe and protected way for you to:
- Meet other young adults in treatment and beyond.
- Ask questions of your peers and MSK clinicians.
- Post to a daily newsfeed.
- Find resources.
- Get alerts about programming and events.
- And more!
If you have any questions about TYA @ MSK or the Lounge, email us at [email protected].