Molecular Biology Program
The Stewart Shuman Lab
Schwer, B., Bitton, D.A., Sanchez, A.M., Bähler, J., and Shuman, S. (2014) Individual letters of the RNA polymerase II CTD code govern distinct gene expression programs in fission yeast. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111, 4185-4190.
Chakravarty, A.K., Smith, P., Jalan, R., and Shuman, S. (2014) Structure, mechanism, and specificity of a eukaryal tRNA restriction enzyme involved in self-nonself discrimination. Cell Reports 7, 339-347.
Das, U., Chauleau, M., Ordonez, H., and Shuman, S. (2014) Impact of DNA3’pp5’G capping on repair reactions at DNA 3’ ends. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111, 11317-11322.
Unciuleac, M.C., Goldgur, Y., and Shuman, S. (2015) Structure and two-metal mechanism of a eukaryal nick-sealing RNA ligase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 112, 13868-13873.
Unciuleac, M.C., Goldgur, Y., and Shuman, S. (2017) Two-metal versus one-metal mechanisms of lysine adenylylation by ATP-dependent and NAD+-dependent polynucleotide ligases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 114, 2592-2597.
Stewart Shuman, MD, PhD
- The goal of my research is to understand the mechanisms and structures of enzymes that perform and regulate essential nucleic acid transactions.
- B.A. Biology (1976) Wesleyan University
- Ph.D. Molecular Biology (1983) Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- M.D. (1981) Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2015)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology (2013)
- NIH MERIT Award (2007)
- American Cancer Society Research Professor (2005 - )
- American Society for Virology, Wolfgang Joklik Lectureship (2004)
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Award - New Initiatives in Malaria Research (2001-03)
- Simon H. Rifkind Chair, Sloan-Kettering Institute (1999 - )
- American Cancer Society Faculty Research Award (1994-99)
- Pew Scholar (1990-94)
- American Cancer Society Junior Faculty Research Award (1989-92)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1982)
- Phi Beta Kappa (1975)