Developmental Biology Program
The Mary Baylies Lab
Developmental biologist Mary Baylies studies the mechanisms that form and maintain muscle both during normal development and in disease.
Balakrishnan M,Yu SF, Chin S, Soffar DB, Windner S, Goode B, Baylies MK (2020). Cofilin loss in Drosophila contributes to muscle weakness through defective sarcomerogenesis during muscle growth. Cell Reports. 32(3): 107893. PMCID: PMC7479987.
Windner SE, Manhart A, Brown A, Mogilner A, Baylies MK. (2019.) Nuclear Scaling Is Coordinated among Individual Nuclei in Multinucleated Muscle Fibers. Dev Cell. Apr 8;49(1):48-62.e3. Featured as a cover image and in a Preview.
Mary Baylies, PhD
- The Baylies laboratory studies the mechanisms that form and maintain muscle both during normal development and in disease.
- PhD, The Rockefeller University
- Developed a Drosophila model for metastasis in alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma, a type of soft tissue cancer most often seen in children
- Demonstrated that properly placed nuclei are critical for healthy muscle function
- Described how nuclear polarization occurs during myonuclear movement in vivo
- Completed the first spatial and temporal characterization of an F-actin structure that forms at the myoblast fusion site
- Identified transcription factors and chromatin regulators that are critical for muscle identity
- Identified 3-D arrangement of myoblasts that occur during muscle specification and morphogenesis
- Discovered signal transduction pathways (Notch, Wnt, BMP, and RTK) and transcription factors that are critical for muscle identity
- President of the Society for Muscle Development (2009-2013)
- Frederick Adler Chair for Junior Faculty (1997-2003)
Get in Touch
Doctors and faculty members often work with pharmaceutical, device, biotechnology, and life sciences companies, and other organizations outside of MSK, to find safe and effective cancer treatments, to improve patient care, and to educate the health care community.
MSK requires doctors and faculty members to report (“disclose”) the relationships and financial interests they have with external entities. As a commitment to transparency with our community, we make that information available to the public.
Mary Baylies discloses the following relationships and financial interests:
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Provision of Services
The information published here is for a specific annual disclosure period. There may be differences between information on this and other public sites as a result of different reporting periods and/or the various ways relationships and financial interests are categorized by organizations that publish such data.
This page and data include information for a specific MSK annual disclosure period (January 1, 2021 through disclosure submission in spring 2022). This data reflects interests that may or may not still exist. This data is updated annually.